Tuesday, July 23, 2013

House on the Rock






The House on the Rock near Spring Green, Wisconsin is difficult to describe. I've known about it all my life and always wanted to visit. I'm glad I did, but not sure I'll ever go back again. Alex Jordan was an eccentric architect and collector. He built a unique residence and amassed a huge, bizarre collection of everything -- musical instruments, rifles, doll houses, maritime artifacts, carousels, dishes, knives and pretty much everything else that you can think about. It took us more than three hours to navigate through the self-guided tour. Exhausted at the end, we skipped past much the place has to offer. I had assumed a more interested architectural wonder, but was disappointed by the structure itself. Eventually, the kids were just bored.