Saturday, May 11, 2013

Views from Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam

Sunset toward Tel Aviv - Jaffa.

The beautiful Alayon Valley.

The Latrun Monastery.

Serene's tree -- a gift for my daughter when she was born, planted at the Fred Segal Friendship Library at Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam. See post: http://jetsetmom.blogspot.com/2011/02/tree-planting-at-neve-shalomwahat-al.html

Few things are harder for me as a mother than to leave my kids at home, while I fly off to some place far away. The greater the distance between us -- and the more number of days away -- the harder the goodbye. One of the few things that eases the empty heart is going to places I love. No where is that more true than my home away from home at Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam, the "Oasis of Peace."  My extended family and friends who live in this special village established by Palestinians and Jews who have made a determined effort to live, work and educate their children together set an example for not only the Middle East, but the world. They are proof that people embroiled in a long-standing, bitter conflict can still find ways to respect and understand each other. My work takes me here a few times each year, and as much as I miss my own children, I hope that my small efforts lend its way toward a more peaceful future for them, the children at the "Oasis of Peace" and all those in Israel-Palestine.