Monday, August 27, 2007

License and Registration, please....

Once you announce “you’re expecting,” baby toys, baby clothes and baby stuff begin invading your home long before the baby is born. If you don’t yet have a kid, the list will overwhelm you; and if you do, you already know it can go on ad nauseam.

Back in my pre-baby days, I was committed to blocking off certain rooms, keeping things in their place, and not letting the bright yellow, red, and blue plastic toys take over the entire house. I was under the illusion that I could keep some of my things from little fingers that like to break them. I gave up protecting my space when Alex started crawling, then walking. We now officially reside in “Casa de Alex,” which sort of looks like one big play room. Stuffed animals have replaced all the cute little knick-knacks I collected as reminders of travels. The tables and bookcases have been stripped down to only those things we are willing to have destroyed. The cupboards are locked. And, just inside the front door is a veritable parking lot – stroller, plastic push lawn mower, plastic school bus made for riding and the hot red sports car.

Every kid needs this car. Alex is the envy of “el barrio.” Speeding through the neighborhood, Alex makes heads turn – adults smile, and kids gaze in awe. He likes to make the 'vroom, 'vroom sounds and wave to passerbys. Driving through Costco, we were reminded by smiling clerks that there are no cars allowed inside the store. To add to the fun, one tried to check his driver's license. Every kid has got a stroller, but only the coolest get a car.

Unfortunately, I can already see the future…last week in the park, Alex checked out another little boy's 3-wheeler. Alex couldn't reach the peddles, but that didn't stop him. He's also tried hard to climb onto the neighbor kids' bikes. I worry what he’ll want by age 16…a Lexus like dad or an F-150 like mommy wants? Or maybe he'll want a hot red Nissan Z?